Cancer Prevention Study
Research today for a cancer-free tomorrow.
What if you could prevent even one family from hearing the words “you have cancer”?
This year, you can fight back against cancer by enrolling in the American Cancer Society’s new research study called the Cancer Prevention Study-3 (CPS-3). By joining CPS-3, you can help researchers better understand the genetic, environmental and lifestyle factors that cause or prevent cancer, which will ultimately save lives.
Who can join the study?
The study is open to anyone who:
- Is willing to make a long-term commitment to the study, which involves completing periodic follow-up surveys at home for the next 20-30 years
- Is between 30 and 65 years old
- Has never been diagnosed with cancer (not including basal or squamous cell skin cancer)
How can you participate?
Your initial enrollment requires two steps and will involve the following:
- After scheduling your enrollment appointment, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions to go online and complete your first, most comprehensive survey.This survey will ask you questions regarding medications you are taking, family history
of cancer, lifestyle and other behaviors. This survey must be completed prior to your appointment time.*
- At your appointment, you will be asked to sign an informed consent form, complete a brief survey, and provide a waist circumference measurement and a small blood sample (similar to a doctor’s visit). The blood sample will be taken by a certified, trained phlebotomist. Your appointment should last approximately 20 - 30 minutes.
Beaumont Health System Locations for Registration:
Royal Oak: South Tower Lobby Area of Hospital
- April 25 - 26, 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Troy: Classroom 3 & 4
- April 25, 3 - 7:30 p.m.
Sterling Heights: Classroom A & B
- April 25, 10 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Grosse Pointe: Café Conference Room
- April 27, 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
*Please note: if you do not complete the more comprehensive survey online prior to your appointment, you will need to complete this survey onsite on the day of your appointment. This will add approximately 45 – 60 minutes to your appointment time.
What else can you do?
If you are not eligible to enroll, be an advocate for Cancer Prevention Study-3. Encourage those close to you to take part in this potentially life-saving study in your honor. Spread the word to everyone you know.