Research currently conducted on the mind and body shows a direct relationship between the two and how this relationship affects our health. In Guided Imagery, a specialist helps elicit the relaxation response and then guides the person's imagination in such a way that positively affects their physical, emotional and spiritual well-being.
What is imagery?
The mind is a powerful healing tool. Using our imagination, we can visualize almost anything. Imagery (or visualization) is a therapeutic technique that has been used for centuries. By creating images in the mind, a person can reduce pain and symptoms associated with his or her condition. Studies have also shown that imagery can help to improve relaxation.
Gail Elliott-Patricolo is the director of integrative medicine and Beaumont's Guided Imagery Specialist. She has been helping a wide variety of clients through Guided Imagery since 2002. Her practice includes clients from children to adults seeking Gail's services for a variety of needs.
Some uses of guided imagery include:
- to reduce pain
- to stop smoking
- to reduce anxiety
- to improve depression
- to overcome a fear or phobia
- to reduce test taking anxiety
- to enhance pre & post surgery recovery
- to help alleviate fear of medical treatments
Before making a private appointment, you can experience a general relaxation guided imagery session by purchasing a CD. The following prerecorded CD's are available for $15 plus tax. Call 248-551-9990 to order.
- Guided Imagery for Peaceful Sleep
- Calming Guided Imagery to Reduce Stress and Enhance Healing
- Relaxing Guided Imagery to Enhance Health and Reduce Pain
- Guided Imagery to Reduce Stress and Help you Stop Smoking
- Calming Guided Imagery for Motivation to Lose Weight and Exercise
For more information, or to make an appointment at one of our locations (Royal Oak, Troy, Rochester Hills or Grosse Pointe) please call 248-964-9200.