Shoulder Physical Therapy
Shoulder physical therapy addresses any shoulder complex pathology and movement dysfunction through analysis and identification of the affected portion of the biomechanical chain that results in a symptomatic shoulder. Shoulder therapy focuses on restoration of musculoskeletal symmetry and normalization of functional motion to allow the patient to achieve their optimal capacity to perform all daily activities required by their lifestyle and within the demands of their environment.
Shoulder physical therapists perform a comprehensive examination of the shoulder complex and the interrelated musculoskeletal, myofascial and nervous systems that are affecting the normal loading and unloading of the shoulder in all planes of movement. Specific attention is paid to scapular position, GH, AC and SC joint movement, muscular strength and balance, thoracic spine position and mobility.
Shoulder physical therapy consists of ongoing treatment adjustments and modifications which are customized to each patient's feedback and response. Supportive functional exercise programs are designed for each patient to be compatible with the manual techniques performed to restore normal function. A multi-faceted approach to treatment is utilized that may include manual therapy, such as joint mobilization and soft-tissue release, muscle lengthening/balancing techniques, postural and neuromuscular re-education training and passive Physical Therapy modalities for pain relief. An individualized, progressive home exercise program is provided throughout the formal therapy to supplement and increase each patient's benefit from their treatment.
Skills and Licensure of Clinicians
Licensed Physical Therapists, Certified Orthopedic Manual Therapists, Certified Mechanical Diagnostic Therapists, Certified Athletic Trainers, Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialists, Certified Polestar and Stott Pilates Instructors are on staff to meet patients' needs. Each of these certifications requires advanced post-graduate education.
The Beaumont Shoulder Physical Therapy Program treats a wide variety of diagnoses including but not limited to:
- Acute traumatic shoulder injuries
- Shoulder instability; anterior, posterior and multi-directional
- Muscle strain/tear
- Adhesive capsulitis
- Overuse injuries
- Rotator cuff impingement/tear
- SLAP lesion
- All post-operative shoulder orthopedic diagnoses, i.e., arthroscopy, debridement/ decompression, acromioplasty, rotator cuff repair, labral repair, Bankart, reconstruction and more
We accept coverage from most major insurance companies. Discount programs are available for those who qualify.
- Promote efficient, interrelated joint function and muscle balance throughout the biomechanical chain to functionally load and unload the shoulder complex
- Achieve optimal scapular positioning on the thorax
- Normalize GH, AC and SC joint arthrokinematics
- Restore normal thoracic spine position and mobility for improved posture
- Reduce/eliminate pain
- Improve synchronized muscle recruitment and strength
- Maximize functional ability to perform daily, recreational and sport activities
- Rehabilitation Services and Programs
- Adult Rehabilitation
- Centers and Locations
- Men's Services
- Services and Benefits
- Speech and Language
- Transition to Athletics Guidance
- Women’s Services
- Your First Visit
- Children's Rehabilitation
- Geriatric Rehabilitation
- Adult Rehabilitation